Monday, October 11, 2010

Do Over

Hello, world (and most specifically the 5 of you reading this). Good to be back. As you all know, I am freaking hilarious. If you don't believe me, just read some of my earlier blog posts. Mark Wahlberg quotes? Comedy gold! And as you probably also know, I am an award-winning comedian - that's right, I won the Funniest Person in Iowa contest (back in 1999 when that award still meant something). Many of you also know I'm a brilliant comic actor. You need evidence, you say?


Gut-splittingly hilarious, right? (Oh, by the way, I'm the fat guy eating the cake).

Sadly, as 2002 became 2003 and then 2004, I let comedy fall by the wayside. I decided to film a full-length feature movie and focus on my real estate career. Predictably, the film was crap and the real estate market collapsed in on itself like so many quantum singularities. As time passed, I heard the siren call of a life I'd let slip away. More and more I found myself longing to return to my first true love - stand-up comedy. The purest of arts, comedy pits one man against the world. Do well, and you are a god. Suck, and that's too bad amigo, you've got 30 minutes to go - and if you're lucky you'll still get paid. Through the lens of time, the horribly long drives through blizzards seemed serene; the bad motels, palatial. Many of the small, dive-y bars I've performed in could use a good coat of fire, but in my maudlin reverie, they seemed so many Shang-ri-las.

The point is, I'm Daryl, and no bad idea is bad enough to avoid. So, it's time for a stand-up comedy comeback! And this time I can't fail! I'm older, fatter, and now I have a sports coat. This blog will tell the tale, and you will be my witnesses. Buckle up, kids. It's about to get Daryl in here.



1 comment:

  1. "It's about to get Daryl in here" is the same thing you said right before the officers threw a flashbang grenade into my 30th birthday party.

    So...cautious optimism, is what I say.

    ReplyDelete